[mkroot] Design issue: uploading binaries.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jun 21 13:46:38 PDT 2017

I built mkroot binaries for a bunch of targets, but am not quite sure
where (or if) to upload them. This remains an unsolved problem and I'm
open to suggestions.

I can stick them on landley.net/mkroot pretty easily, but the project
doesn't have the same kind of website the old one did. It's a
self-contained github project with a README. In theory github has a
"releases" mechanism that lets you attach binaries to a tag, but the
web-based mechanism is very manual and
https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/releases/ is not making a lot of
sense to me. (Googling for this sort of thing finds stuff for the older
https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/downloads/ mechanism that was
deprecated and removed in 2012.)

(I'm also leaning towards not posting binaries until I get busybox
cleaned out of the build. At which point everything would be bsd/pd
licensed.)

As for toolchain binaries, I've been poking Rich Felker about uploading
musl-cross-make binaries for ages (although he's now waited long enough
that https://lwn.net/Articles/726023/ happened and kinda took the
thunder away from that), and _he_ wants to use
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/releases/ to produce and
automatically upload them for each new tag. Which is nice, but neither
of us has sat down to work out how to actually do it, and github has a
1gb quota per account that could get eaten pretty quickly by that sort
of thing.

Meanwhile, the kernel guys are using
https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/ which doesn't have a C
library (so you can pretty much _only_ build the kernel with them, no
userspace). And I have a todo item to try to build stuff with Android's
NDK when the next version ships.

Lack of native compiler binary tarballs (which only musl-cross-make
builds, and it's still not providing downloadable binaries) is
semi-blocking the next major design stage, which is reproducing
aboriginal linux's build control images under mkroot. What it's building
right now isn't a development environment. I have to compile make from
source (and/or implement one in toybox), but without a toolchain it's
not much use.

That said I do have an mcm-buildall.sh script checked in, and I can just
have this _also_ depend on the mcm symlink like cross.sh does now...

Rob