[mkroot] aboriginal / mkroot as a basis for a container?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri May 19 11:34:50 PDT 2017

On 05/19/2017 12:50 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Rob,
>
> I use Fedora for routine work but got interested in Alpine because of
> the reduction in container size - is it possible / sensible to try and
> make an even smaller, faster system with mkroot?

Yes, but it's really a question of what you want the container to do.

Way back when lxc had a busybox container, with just busybox defconfig
in it. The mkroot build is aiming at one of those based on toybox
instead of busybox (but still uses bits of busybox at the moment because
the past year $DAYJOB has been _really_ distracting so I'm not as far as
I wanted to be with toybox yet).

Other than that, there's an init script and a couple /etc files. There's
really not much there. (Sorta the point. :)

Alpine is a distro. It has a package management system that can download
and install more stuff. If you want more stuff in mkroot, you build it
from source. :)

Rob