[mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Mar 13 12:53:19 PDT 2018

On 03/13/2018 02:30 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:28:33 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>> So there are still some design decisions to make here. :)
>
> Sounds like my goal of having mkroot produce a 486 LFS 8.2 bootable
> image by the end of next weekend might not be such a good idea if you
> are gonna change it next weekend anyway.  I'll switch to 486 Aboriginal
> Linux + LFS for this week then, and switch to mkroot / hermetic later
> when the dust settles.

My worry would be that aboriginal's toolchains are really old now (something
like 11 years), and I'm not sure all the current packages will build with them.

(Mostly it's the kernel that complains. Userspace doesn't care.)

> So I get to play with your lfs-bootstrap control
> image after all.  The LFS build scripts I have been writing should slot
> into that easily enough anyway, they are using similar concepts.  Common
> infrastructure to get and unpack the package tarballs, then call build
> scripts named after the packages to actually build them.  LFS has it's
> own airlock step, chapter 5.

Linux From Scratch is where I got the idea from. I just ratcheted it up a bit. :)

Rob