[mkroot] Fwd: Re: To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

Philip Rhoades phr at philiprhoades.org
Tue Mar 13 14:34:59 PDT 2018

Sorry, should have replied to all . .

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...
Date: 2018-03-14 08:33
 From: Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au>
To: David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>

David,

On 2018-03-14 04:04, David Seikel wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 03:28:18 +1100 Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> David,
>>

>> On 2018-03-13 06:43, David Seikel wrote:

>> > My current "mkroot" email folder is still called "FWL".  I've been
>> > around here for a while.  lol

>> > I started building LFS 8.1 on Sunday, and later today (Tuesday my
>> > time) I'll continue.  I'm starting with the "build it manually
>> > yourself" method suggested in the automated LFS page, and scripting
>> > it myself as I go along.  I'm up to the beginning of chapter 6,
>> > I'll likely start on bits of BLFS after finishing that.  Chapter 6
>> > should go quickly, half of it is building the stuff already built
>> > with some minor variations.
>> >
>> > Today I downloaded the 8.2 stuff, I'll switch over to that next, I
>> > was trying 8.1 first coz I had downloaded it's source some time ago.
>> > Bandwidth in Australia is expensive, I have to carefully ration out
>> > things like downloading 7 GB of LFS + BLFS source code, and 8.2 was
>> > only recently released.
>> >
>> > Then I'll move to using Aboriginal Linux for the job, which I have
>> > experience with, or skip straight to mkroot which I haven't tried
>> > yet.
>> >
>> > Currently building it on my x86_64 test box natively, I will at some
>> > point tell it to build for 486.  Then I can test things on my real
>> > 486 hardware, which my old Aboriginal Linux build still works fine
>> > on. Earlier this year the 486 device was being audited by the
>> > government test labs, as it's the sort of device that requires that
>> > sort of thing.
>> >
>> > I did have the idea while working on this, that the various test
>> > suites that LFS builds for all the software that toybox replaces,
>> > might be a good idea to see if we can get them to test toybox.
>> > Dunno if you have tried that yet.
>>
>> Where are you in Australia?
>
> I'm in Brisbane, so not nearby to Cowra.

Yep, bit of a trek from here . . although I do have relatives at Byron
Bay that I visit every now and then . . which is a fair bit closer . .

>> If you were nearby I could probably help with downloading
>
> The 13th is my ISP roll over date for the month, and I had been good
> over the last month not using much bandwidth, so I had enough to
> download the 8.2 versions of LFS and BLFS books and source code, plus a
> few other big but unrelated things.  I have now done so.
>
>> I also have a working 486 (JPG attached) for which
>> I want to make an image of its old SCSI drive to see if I can
>> virtualise it.  If it were possible, this is also the machine I would
>> like to make some mkroot boot / root floppies for - although that
>> seems too hard . .
>
> I pointed out the ICOP people before, http://www.icop.com.tw/ that make
> the 486 board I use for some embedded work.

I did look at that stuff and it IS interesting - it would be good to
explore that at some time too - I have been meaning to look RPis ever
since they came out and still haven't managed to get around to it . . so
I am interested to see how things go for you with mkroot . .

> (Note that I said https://
> last time, then found out they don't respond so well to https, though
> that might be some oddness in my proxy, I didn't investigate further.)
> It's a tiny board (fits in the palm of your hand) that is almost a
> complete PC, including lots of GPIO pins for embedded work, VGA / LCD
> video out, USB 2, serial ports, PS2, audio, 256 MB RAM, and we add on a
> 512 MB flash disk.

Yes, it is very cool and I am greatly motivated to have a closer look .
.

> For many years we have been using Aboriginal Linux +
> control images (Robs pre cursor to mkroot) to build an embedded device
> that is subject to lengthy government regulations.  This is where
> Aboriginals 486 support came from in the first place, we needed it, I
> wrote it, and sent it to Rob who included it.

I would be interested in hearing more about that project - by direct
mail if others would prefer for it not to be on this list . .

> So I'm well versed in getting Aboriginal Linux and the rest of the OS
> needed to support the device running on it.  All heavily scripted, I
> start the complete build on my workstation, come back in an hour and
> dd the completed disk image onto a USB stick that I then boot the 486
> with for testing.  Getting the basic Aboriginal Linux up and running on
> it is no longer hard now that it has 486 support.

Very interesting . .

> I've only glanced at mkroot, and it seems to be similar to parts of
> Aboriginal Linux, so I expect I'll be able to use it easily.

Certainly let us know how it goes.

> I don't think I even have any floppy disk or SCSI equipment anymore, so
> you are on your own with that.  My career is long enough that I have
> used such extensively far too many decades ago.

I have still have a working Exidy Sorcerer (audio tape based) and
Osborne luggable . . my (current) place is turning into a museum . .

>> I have been trying to find the time for ages to do the LFS thing on
>> my newer / faster workstations.
>
> So have I, that time for me started last Sunday.  If nothing else
> swallows my spare time like it did yesterday, I'll likely have a mkroot
> based LFS running on my 486 board at the end of next weekend.

Excellent . .

>> I was in Sydney (still go back there occasionally) but now I am in a
>> little country town (see below).
>
> Sydney is a one hour flight from Brisbane, and you would know how long
> it takes you to get to Sydney from Cowra.  Likely still too far just to
> drop off a USB stick, which I no longer need now anyway.  Thanks for
> the
> offer though.

Good that you don't need the downloading help now but it would be good
to chat one day - but it sounds like the 486 stuff is at work and they
may not appreciate visitors I suppose?

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades
"Life is too short . . we should be reducing suffering wherever we can

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW	2794
Australia
Web:  http://philiprhoades.org