[mkroot] where to put kernel configuration options?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 15 12:51:02 PDT 2019

On 10/14/19 6:39 PM, hgn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have chosen mkroot to learn more about Linux distributions and kernels and
> want to play around a bit. In the end there is a hypothetical specialized linux
> distro for an offline computer where I work, but if "only" learning will be
> achieved I am happy as well.
>
> That said, I am learning to make a kernel and mkroot at the same time. I wanted
> to try out these kernel options:
>
> https://make-linux-fast-again.com/
>
> Where would I put them in mkroot?

In https://github.com/landley/mkroot/blob/master/module/kernel you could put
them in getminiconfig (options for all architecures) or in architecture-specific
section.

In the version I merged into toybox I'd probably add a KERNEL_EXTRACONFIG
variable to https://github.com/landley/toybox/blob/master/scripts/mkroot.sh#L429
and have it output after $KERNEL_CONFIG in getminiconfig(). Then you could
specify more config on the command line, although the newlines would be awkward.
Hmmm... Maybe

  echo "$KERNEL_EXTRACONFIG" | tr '|' '\n'

and then you could

  make root KERNEL_EXTRACONFIG="THINGY=y|THINGY2=y"

Or something? (Which raises the question of whether it should be in the
environment variable whitelist so you don't have to specify it on the command
line. Sigh: design questions.)

> Thank you for this project!

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any questions.

> hgn

Rob