[qcc] TCG

Bruce Ewing bewing0 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 14:33:25 PDT 2015

I've been digging through the actual TCG code, and I've discovered the
following:

The list of supported QEMU CPUs above are QEMU *frontends*, and are mostly
not available as TCG backends.

TCG supports precisely eight backends: x86, ia64, mips, sparc, arm,
powerpc, s390, and aarch64. The aarch64 backend, however, is GPLv2 licensed
-- so that one is out.

The TCG code itself is simply the backend from TCC, almost completely
unmodified (some sections deleted, and a few tiny features added to support
QEMU). Which means that all of the code that is missing to turn it into a C
compiler backend are already available in TCC.

Which means that it should be completely brainless to attach it to QCC as a
backend -- where any other backend would require some thought. So it looks
like TCG does indeed win as the easiest backend.