[qcc] TODO?

Рысь lynx at sibserver.ru
Thu Oct 22 22:04:00 PDT 2015

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 20:21:09 -0500
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 10/21/2015 06:22 AM, Рысь wrote:
> > You're talking about android like it's The Only Future and we can't
> > escape.
>
> No, I'm talking about smartphones like they're the only future we
> can't escape unless you want to follow the old stuff turning into
> "big iron" and getting kicked up into the server space yet again.
>
> I'm talking about android like it's shipping over a billion units per
> year, which it is:
>
> http://www.cnet.com/news/android-shipments-exceed-1-billion-for-first-time-in-2014/
>
> The entire PC industry's installed base is less than the annual
> android unit shipments. Strategically, it's the fourth generation of
> mainframe -> minicomputer -> microcomputer -> smartphone. Fighting
> over PCs in 201x is like fighting over minicomputers in the 1990's.
> It doesn't matter who wins, that ship is sinking.

Quality or quantity? The ship is sinking because the ship staff is
punching holes in it. Money drive them, as usual.

> I gave a talk about this in 2013, on the need to make phones into
> self-hosting development environments you can rebuild the OS image on,
> not just passive data consumers. This is the most thorough "why I am
> doing what I'm doing" explanation I've got so far:
>
> Video: http://youtu.be/SGmtP5Lg_t0
> Outline: http://landley.net/talks/celf-2013.txt
>
> Getting Android's attention turned out to be possible:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/629362/
>
> But it is not the _only_ smartphone OS, I'm also trying to make
> toybox a good fit for Tizen for example:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/616315/
>
> I keep trying to tell people about this. I was interviewed about it
> on a podcast last year:
>
> https://linuxluddites.com/shows/episode-11/
>
> Before all that I did a writeup on the aboriginal linux about page:
>
> http://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html#selfhost

So what's it's all about? I do not try to demotivate you in either way,
I just ask for "why such an attention to corporation-influenced binary
OS". I am already have your context about this (I had read your blog)
and eated that much. I do not want more.

Moreover, from that context, I am in strange feeling about someone try
to dictate overhead their own opinion like it's already happened and
there is no way back.

> > I wonder why such a hype to a corporation-influenced binary OS.
>
> Because if you try to make your own phone ala openmoko, your unit
> volume is so low it prices itself out of the market, and then you
> can't get a data plan for it because the providers don't notice (or
> care) you exist. I'm not the FSF, I care about trying to improve the
> world we've got rather than imagining a cloud castle and insisting
> everyone live there with no path from here to there.
>
> The PC didn't start out open, it was _opened_ by cloners like compaq
> who survived lawsuits to defend their right to clone it. The open
> S/100 systems of the day died out due to lack of interest (and yes
> they went 16 bit with Z8000 and 8086 cards and such: nobody cared).
> They didn't take an open system and make it successful, they took a
> successful system and levered it open. That's what worked last time.
> Strategically they focused on the PC because it had the smallest
> number of proprietary bottlenecks (mostly just the BIOS). This time
> I'm focusing on Android for similar strategic reasons, making
> multiple billions of existing Android devices programmable and
> rootable is easier than trying to make firefox phones or ubuntu
> phones ever matter to anybody.
>
> By the way, my $DAYJOB is trying to fix the long-term "corporation
> influenced binary hardware" problem at a much deeper level than all
> this:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/647636/
>
> Rob

Androids usually:

- Need rooting (what? I can't own my device? This is stupid, but simple
question)
- Not a PC (what? I can't build MY OWN Linux for it? This is stupid,
but, again, simple question. Look, I even had thrown away guts from my
router, why can't I apply same to this phone?)
- Consumer-only devices that do not permit creation of anything beyond
typing texts on your photos before sending them to hipster photo
services
- Gaming platforms with completely unrelated games (but at least I
can't play quake on it. I know that because of size mismatch)
- Slowly turn their owners into infants (I rejected that effect early)

Last three apply to all phones and tablets and that indeed makes
android not looking more bad or good among them.

And not including ability to spy on you. Or you don't mind and ready to
accept brand new world? Then this talk is indeed useless (in QCC list).

--
http://lynxlynx.tk/
Power electronics made simple