[Toybox] Editors and such.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 01:09:35 PST 2011

Just read your triage blog, and noticed that the only editor in the
group is vi.  Unless I missed something.  Personally, I'd want to add
any simple editor that is not vi.  Vi fails my editor test, a complete
lack of discoverability.  I'd also want to eventually add a very simple
version of midnight commander (mc).

I'm thinking it would be useful to have some common support for full
screen terminal driving.  The more command could probably use it to.
So that would be four commands that could use it right off the bat,
which is handy to help keep the design sane.  More, vi, something like
nano, and something like a basic cut down mc.

I like your idea that you can pretty much deal with ANSI codes these
days.  I have seen a really tiny editor, that used a profiles concept,
you could invoke it to act like simple versions of a number of popular
editors.  It was written in pure assembler though.

If I have time, I'd like to tackle writing a common library of full
screen terminal app code, and basic generic file editing.  The basic
generic file editing stuff could also be used by the non screen
editors.

BTW, I do have one command memorised for those times I accidentally
find myself stuck in vi -

killall -TERM vi

Substituting -KILL if I'm feeling particularly annoyed at it.