[Toybox] Fix, killall is not allowed to kill itself

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Dec 23 21:25:46 PST 2012

On 12/23/2012 08:45:07 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> > > Like rm'ing something that does not exist, the end result is the
> > > same, except for the useless error.

Using the host version on Ubuntu:

   $ rm doesnotexist
   rm: cannot remove `doesnotexist': No such file or directory

You're thinking rm -f maybe?

> > >  The thing does not exist,
> > > killall is no longer running.  The error message is superfluous,
> as
> > > the result you wanted is exactly what you get.
> >
> > I think the objection is that PIDs aren't monotonic (the PID
> > namespace wraps), so if you kill things in increasing PID order this
> > killall instance isn't guaranteed to be last so it won't necessarily
> > kill everything it should.
>
> A valid objection for not killing yourself until you are done killing
> everyone else.  No excuse for an error message though, once killall is
> done, the requested task is accomplished, that's not an error, that's
> success.

Using the host version in ubuntu:

   $ killall doesnotexist
   doesnotexist: no process found

You're thinking killall -q maybe? Which toybox implements?

   ./toybox killall -q killall