[Toybox] Thinking out loud (about command metadata simplification).

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Feb 5 14:12:38 PST 2012

I can actually simplify the command metadata a bit more than I have.
It's one of those "be explicit" vs "less repetition" things...

The NEWTOY() and config lines can collapse together like this:

/* vi: set sw=4 ts=4:
 *
 * hello.c - A hello world program.
 *
 * Copyright 2012 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
 *
 * See http://opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/

COMMAND(hello, "e at d*c#b:a", TOYFLAG_USR|TOYFLAG_BIN)
        default n
        help
          usage: [-a] [-b string] [-c number] [-d list] [-e count] [...]

          A hello world program.  You don't need this.

          Mostly used as an example/skeleton file for adding new commands,
          occasionally nice to test kernel booting via "init=/bin/hello".
*/

Note that the command name also drops out of the usage: line (because the
scripts/config2help.c file can put it back).

On the one hand, this is less repetition: when copying hello.c to a new
command name, you have to search/replace a lot less, and only have to do
it lower case.  There's only two places left that functionally CARE, one
in the COMMAND() line and the other is hello_main().

On the other hand, it's less obvious at first glance that the blob after
the COMMAND() is kconfig language.  (I could even suck the "default y/n"
and the "help" keyword up into the macro, but if you want to add DEPENDS
lines that gets awkward...)

/me shrugs.  I'll hold off for now, but I'm always looking at ways to
improve on the existing stuff.  Sort of the point of the project...

Trying to get a release out, but there's bugs to track down...