[Toybox] make allyesconfig breaks tests

Elie De Brauwer eliedebrauwer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:42:17 PST 2012

Hi all,

I've been doing some further playing around, and found out that a make
allyesconfig (which also introduced the unused variable warnings)
actually breaks the make test. This is because in scripts/test.sh on
line 14 it says: PATH=.:$PATH and later on sed is used.

However the only thing the current sed implementation (which make
allyesconfig turns on) does, is a printf("Hello world\n"), meaning
several variables (which were created by the use of sed) end up
containing Hello world. And as a result the remainder of the script fails.

I think the bottomline question is whether we want our own dogfood to be
eaten during testing or whether we rely on parts of the host system. If
we want to run tests on target then we need to follow the eat our own
dogfood option.

A quick workaround to get the allyesconfig test functional again
consists out of calling sed directly (/bin/sed), this follows the
test-on-host-philosophy. A dumb patch is in attach, but it's not a
decent solution.

(Btw, also related with the sed issue, wrappers/ contains tac, unix2dos
and dos2unix, these script rely on sed, this implies somehow that
enabling/copying over these wrappers triggers the inclusion of sed,
which isn't there today either. )

my 2 cents
E.

--