[Toybox] The "kill" command.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Feb 22 05:11:49 PST 2012

The standard here is unintelligible:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/kill.html

> If an exit_status operand is given and it is a value of the '?' shell
> special parameter (see Special Parameters and wait) corresponding to
> a process that was terminated by a signal, the signal_name
> corresponding to the signal that terminated the process shall be
> written

So if I run "false" then $? is 1, and somehow "kill -l 1" is supposed to
retroactively associate that 1 with a process ID that no longer exists...?

What?

(It _seems_ that what -l is doing is in ubuntu's implementation is
converting a signal number to name or vice versa.  How you get that from
the above standard snippet, I can't even _guess_...)