[Toybox] New Subscriber

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Feb 7 05:32:34 PST 2012

On 02/06/2012 07:05 AM, Dmitriy Tochansky wrote:

> 2012/2/5 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net <mailto:rob at landley.net>>
>
> Thank you for your detailed response!
>

>     > May be better create some small and
>     > fast libc implementation to make you ab linux more small and easy
>     to use?
>
>     I've been pondering it.  That's why I was looking at musl.  But doing so
>     is not necessarily the same project as toybox.  Toybox is replacing
>     toolbox.  Replacing or supplementing _bionic_ is a separate issue.
>
>     I'm all for working with people who are trying, but the only guys I know
>     starting a new technically interesting libc right now are wasting their
>     time fighting for a fraction of uClibc's market share which is fighting
>     for a fraction of glibc's market share which is fighting for a fraction
>     of Windows' market share back on the PC, which is a waste of time.
>
> Well, I encounteredthe same problem when was looking for bsd-licensed
> libc separated from OS and less compiler depended. Sad, but true.

Toolbox didn't have anything worth extending (and toybox actually
predates its release, anyway).  But at first glance bionic might
actually be worth extending.

The python syscall thing is the wrong approach, there should be some way
to annotate the upstream kernel system call list and extract automatic
stuff from it.  I encountered a similar problem adding hexagon support
to strace, you can get system call name and id from the headers, but not
argument list.  It's in the kernel source, I just need to figure out how
to extract it cleanly...

And they need a generic architecture.  And they need a lot of stubs
filled out...

But on the whole, it more or less works.  Not doing internationalization
and not contaminating the thing wtih C++ are both defensible decisions...

> I was hoping that in the toybox have something like that.

I _need_ a way to supplement bionic into a full libc, and if I can't get
it I'll have to write it.  But I'll have to burn that bridge when I come
to it...

> Good that you're interested in it.There is early alpha of it, but may be
> later I will public some researches on this topic.

Cool,