[Toybox] make allyesconfig breaks tests

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Feb 10 19:26:53 PST 2012

On 02/10/2012 01:06 PM, Frank Bergmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 07:42:17PM +0100, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
>> I've been doing some further playing around, and found out that a make
>> allyesconfig (which also introduced the unused variable warnings)
>
> "make config" is also broken and some more things.

I use menuconfig, defconfig, and allnoconfig.  The rest is there because
the kconfig infrastructure provides them.  Can't really say I've tested
them a lot.  Define "broken".

> scripts/genconfig.sh builds an include file out of .config.

Actually it builds an include file out of toys/*.c and then that include
file is used to generate .config.

I note that when you add/remove a toys/*.c file you need to re-run "make
defconfig".  The .config<-generated/Config.in<-toys/*.c dependencies
don't quite go all the way through...

> autoconf.h is not created / used.

It's not created because it's not used.

> silentoldconfig is also broken:
>
> $ make silentoldconfig
> kconfig/conf -s Config.in
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
>
> *** Error writing ToyBox configuration.
>
> make: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
> $ mkdir -p include/{linux,config}
> $ make silentoldconfig
> kconfig/conf -s Config.in

Vestigial Kconfig stuff from Linux, via busybox.

To be honest, I'd like to replace kconfig entirely with infrastructure
that A) doesn't use ncurses, B) isn't GPL.  (It's a build tool that
doesn't ship in the resulting binary, but I'd like to clean it out anyway.)

> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> $ head include/linux/autoconf.h
> /*
>  * Automatically generated C config: don't edit
>  * ToyBox version: KCONFIG_VERSION
>  * Fri Feb 10 20:00:55 2012
>  */
> #define CONFIG_DIRNAME 1
> #define CONFIG_TTY 1
> #define CONFIG_SHA1SUM 1
> #define CONFIG_SORT_FLOAT 1
> #define CONFIG_NICE 1

The toybox build does not use this file.

> Without patches (shall I submit?) you can only use defconfig and
> menuconfig.

And allnoconfig/allyesconfig.

If you'd like to submit patches to remove the non-working options, sure.