[Toybox] Editors and such.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jul 1 20:20:24 PDT 2012

On 07/01/2012 12:14 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 11:58:05 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm adding a chunk at a time and checking it in. I have somewhat
>> elaborate plans, but they change as I go along.
>>
>> Your design of course takes into account none of _my_ elaborate plans,
>> but since I haven't checked them in yet they're fair game.
>>
>> But I'm a bit nervous about impedence matching a giant code drop.
>
> My design is changing as I go along as well.  I'm trying to shake out a
> proper design for all of this with some real world sanity checking.

Aren't we all. :)

> The first code drop will just be a single toy, which is just a
> prototype.  A work in progress for commenting on.  Later it should
> probably be split up into a few library bits that can be left out of
> the build if not needed.

Yay trail of breadcrumbs. I look forward to it.

Honestly one of the things that _should_ be high profile is toysh. That
needs (not an exhausting list, just big low hanging fruit off the top of
my head):

1) Command history.
2) Environment variable support.
3) Pipeline and redirect support.
4) Control flow (if/while/for/functions)
5) Job control.

What it _really_ needs is three months of my time where I sit down and
work on _nothing_ else, but short of doing a kickstarter or something I
don't see how I could afford it these days...

Still, od is at about the 2/3 mark. I'll cut a release once I get that
done, I think.

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.