[Toybox] Sending passwd source code for contribution

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jul 17 21:23:14 PDT 2012

On 07/17/2012 12:38 PM, orc wrote:
>> (One thing it probably should do is
>> check if it's running suid root and exit if not, rather than
>> prompting for a password and then failing to be able to change it...)
>
> On tcb-enabled system this maybe an undesired behavior. I run such
> system as a test environment, busybox passwd of course exits without
> root privs, but user can change his password by
> editing /etc/tcb/$USER/shadow if allowed (built-in musl support in such
> routines as getspnam()).

This whole area has domain knowledge I haven't quite got, meaning I need
to sit down and study it until I know all the weird little crevices.

That's why passwd and login and useradd and such were way down on my
todo list, it's a suite of related programs that involve crypto and
library support and so on that I was last familiar with in 2006 (for
busybox), under a set of assumptions that didn't involve android or
containers or the 8 gazillion modern ways of saying "root vs not root
was too simple, let's complicate the system until the obscurity provides
security" that selinux metastasized into.

Unfortunately, people need this, and are implementing bits of it, and
I'm trying to stay out of their way while they do so...

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.