[Toybox] Pocket workstations.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:34:42 PDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:28:15 +1000 David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 20:25:13 +1000 David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The main problem I am seeing right now with the "just use a hub"
> approach is that the USB standards are against the particular
> combination I need right now.  At least according to my recollection,
> and a little bit of research.  More research is needed.  My existing
> powered HUB has a mini B socket, my phone has a micro B socket.  You
> are not supposed to hook those two together directly.  In fact, I'm
> not so certain it's that easy to find USB hubs that come with the host
> connector being anything the USB standard says you are allowed to use
> to hook to a typical phone micro B USB socket.  Not with commonly
> available off the shelf components.  There are non standard USB
> cables, but only for popular things.  This is not popular yet.

Ah I was looking at this the wrong way.  Normal USB OTG adaptors come
with a USB type A socket, so I can plug the hub into that using it's
normal cable.  I was trying to bypass that extra cable.

Also looks like it's theoretically possible to use USB and the MHL to
HDMI at the same time, but Samsung have not yet released the cable to
do that.  Might be a third party one I've not found yet.

Getting a little closer.  B-)