[Toybox] new toy : w command

Tim Bird tbird20d at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:40:59 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Gaurang Shastri <gmshastri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please find attached the initial implementation of "w" command.
>
> Output after compiling my code with toybox :
> {{{
> [root at stark toybox-0.3.0]# ./toybox w
> USER     TTY             LOGIN@                 FROM
> root        tty2      Wed Jul 11 18:29:24 2012  ( )
> rpmuser  pts/1    Wed Jul 11 21:33:15 2012  (43.88.80.109)
> rpmuser  pts/2    Wed Jul 11 19:23:09 2012  (:0.0)
> rpmuser  pts/3    Tue Jul 17 20:33:41 2012  (43.88.80.208)
> }}}

Here is some feedback:

It is better to provide the patch inline, in the message body, rather than
as an attachment.  This allows people to easily respond to individual
parts of the patch by commenting directly in a response e-mail.  Comments
can be placed in-line with the submitted code.  Also, even though this
is a standalone program submission, it is good to submit as a patch
against the full source, suitable for application with 'patch -p1
<filename.patch'
at the root of the source tree.  Please provide future contributions
in this format.

This looks like a good basic start. Can you please change the help
text a bit:

   Show who is logged on and when and from where they logged in.

Also, do you plan to implement the WHAT column?  I find this is useful
to get an idea of what users are doing on the system.

 -- Tim