[Toybox] new toy: taskset

Elie De Brauwer eliedebrauwer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 04:08:54 PDT 2012

On 07/19/2012 03:41 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 02:53 AM, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
>> On 07/18/2012 04:26 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> I didn't mean to criticize, I'm just a bit frustrated trying to figure
> out what the behavior should _be_ in the absence of a standard and with
> implementations seeming to vary.
>
> The man page I linked to matches the one on ubuntu 10.04, which is what
> this netbook still has on it. (I'm being lazy about upgrading the LTS.
> The new one has this horrible X11 behavior where clicks register twice a
> lot of the time. They screwed up debouncing or something. _right_
> clicking on things sometimes left-clicks what's underneath the mouse
> cursor. Maybe it's an xfce thing, but I don't see how, and xubuntu 10.04
> doesn't do it, so...)

No criticism taken, just wanted to state I was not under any influence
of exotic things while implementing that command ;).

>> I just looked at the
>> manpage on my debian system (util-linux-2.20.1) and it resembles this
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/taskset.1.html  (you
>> need to scroll down to see the options.
>> (I think this patch http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/19513/138/
>> more or less shows the -a specific changes).
>
> So there's no standard for this command _and_ its changed significantly
> in the past couple years. Lovely.
>
> Ok, I happily defer to your superior knowledge in this area.

My knowledge is limited to the manpage and what google spat out, not
much superior there.

>> Meaning to works as renice, rather than nice. I'm open to suggestions, I
>> can as well the 'work-as-nice' functionality,
>
> Is there more to it than:
>
>    if (opt.argc>2) xexec(toys.optargs+2);
>
> Well, taskset getpid() and then exec. And detect -p... ok there's a bit
> of work.
>
> I'd prefer if you could add the new work-as-nice stuff since you know
> what the UI should be like, and I'll hold off converting to the raw
> syscall until then. Sound good?

Sounds like a deal, expect a patch with the nice-like behavior (but it
won't be much more work than wat you already stated) in the coming days.

gr
E.

--
Elie De Brauwer