[Toybox] Editors and such.

Dennis McCunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 21:34:43 PDT 2012

On 06/30/2012 08:01 PM, David Seikel wrote:

> Actually, vi includes an ex mode, and ex includes an ed mode.  Think ed
> might just come for free with vi.

On Unix back when I learned it (AT&T Sys V R2 in the 80's), vi, ex, and
view (read-only mode) were links to the same underlying executable.
Which personality it assumed depended upon the name it was called by,
and you could change modes on the fly.

I haven't Looked Stuff Up, so I don't know offhand how much difference
there is between ex and ed, though my recollection is that ex is a
superset of ed, so ed more would be a restricted portion of ex.