[Toybox] vi modelines

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:33:38 PDT 2012

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:43:05 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Long-term I'm thinking of just switching all the tabs to spaces
> because it's not consistent now and vi's stopped honoring the ts=4
> comments. Keeping it straight is silly bordering on annoying.

Reminds me...

The standard has this (and more) to say about these sort of modelines
in input files -

"The standard developers believed strongly that an editor should not by
default interpret any lines of a file. Vendors are strongly urged to
delete this feature from their implementations of ex and vi."

Basically, they consider it to be a security risk.  This conflicted
with toybox's coding standard that says we should include a specific
modeline.  I don't see any security risk in setting tab stops.  shrugs

On the other hand, I'm happy to leave modeline support out of the
editor I'm working on if toybox no longer needs it in source files.

Perhaps your version of whatever vi clone you are using has dropped
modeline support to meet the standard?