[Toybox] Archive features.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 18 21:18:18 PDT 2012

On 06/18/2012 10:55 AM, Ashwini Sharma wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
>   I was wondering if you would like to use comression/decompression
> libraries like libbzip2, zlib etc... for the implementation
> of archive features *tar *and *gzip.*

Nope.  Those are external dependencies, I don't want any outside of libc.

>       OR
> You would actually implement the compression/decompression algos for
> implementing these features.?

Implementing them myself.  (bunzip2 is already in, and I've got bzip2
compression code I wrote lying around.  gzip/gunzip are
straightforwardish, I messed with that years ago. I still need to dig
into xz.)

My blog has a long painful writeup of getting my new netbook working,
which ate yesterday and today, and will probably eat bits of tomorrow.
But the new one has 4 gigs of ram (upgradeable to 8) instead of the 2
this one maxes out at, and may actually support kvm so I can do a Fedora
virtual image and finally nail down that darn build bug that's blocking
a release of aboriginal (I.E. toybox's big test environment)...

Sorry for the delay...

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.