[Toybox] Editors and such.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:14:54 PDT 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:10:59 +1200 Andre Renaud
<andre at bluewatersys.com> wrote:

> > No, they have an implementation of screen. The first one I used
> > (circa 1993) was from Sun.
> >
> > The wonkypedia article says the first pair of maintainers handed it
> > over to a second pair of maintainers who handed it over to the gnu
> > project. So it's a bit like Gold and Patch and Grub and EGCS so on:
> > somebody wrote a thing that worked and the Gnu project managed to
> > take it over and plaster their name all over it as the versions
> > they ship bloat and lose reliability.
>
> There is a BSD-licensed terminal multiplexer - 'tmux'. It's
> conceptually the same as GNU screen, but I'm assuming it's a
> completely clean code base.

I did mention tmux when I talked about screen the first time.  I was
saying that using my new infrastructure and perhaps something like the
nohup toy, it might be possible to implement something like screen or
tmux.  It's not actually on my TODO, not part of the design to
specifically support such things, just mentioning that it might be
possible.

I actually use tmux in preference to screen, but that's not a subject
for this list.  I don't think either screen or tmux are on the toybox
roadmap.

Tmux is a completely different design to screen.  It serves the same
purpose, but is enough different that I doubt if it was even useful for
them to share code.  I got the impression they did not WANT any of
screen's code.