[Toybox] Editors and such.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:18:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:21:48 +1000 David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:48:36 +0200 Jens Staal <staal1978 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > torsdagen den 21 juni 2012 15.00.07 skrev  David Seikel:
> > > I was pretty much coming to the conclusion that I would have to
> > > write something that smells like readline.  Sounds like you agree.
> > >
> > > I'm half tempted to implement tabbed boxes as well, but that would
> > > be low priority
> >
> > To save you the trouble, linenoise
> > (https://github.com/antirez/linenoise) is an alternative to GNU and
> > BSD readline/libedit and significantly lighter. It is not a drop-in
> > replacement and not a traditional stand alone library but rather
> > a .c and a .h file that can be integrated in projects that want line
> > editing. Apparently Android uses it...
> >
> > For the curses stuff discussed earlier, termbox looks interesting
> > although also not a drop-in replacement.
>
> I'll look at them both.  Not being drop in replacements is fine, since
> we are not currently using either readline or curses.

Actually, I had looked at termbox before, and put it aside until I got
around to working in this project.  Now I have dusted it off and
looking at both of those.

I can see some scope in combining source code from both and mixing them
into what I did already, and what I plan.  There's a bit of duplication
I would like to tidy up, and some generalizations that can be made to
further reduce code.  We don't really need two input loops and two
different ways of interpreting keystrokes for instance.