[Toybox] linenoise

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Oct 27 10:26:28 PDT 2012

On 12/05/2011 05:11:52 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:41:06 +0100 Jens Staal <staal1978 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Would this be interesting for some toybox utilities?
> >
> > https://github.com/antirez/linenoise
>
> Rob was looking at that before, plus a few other similar readline
> alternatives.

I noticed that Android is already using it.

I don't want external dependencies in toybox (no ncurses, gzip, etc.)
so I'd have to incorporate a fork/snapshot into toybox if I was going
to use it, which seems impolite to the upstream project. Plus I've
already dealt with this stuff at some length in busybox (the ansi probe
size string which can reach through a serial connection and find the
size of the terminal at the far end, collating escape sequences via
timeout rather than expecting them to come in as a single transaction
which they won't across a serial line, etc).

But I may read through linenoise to see what it's doing before going
there, and in theory the stuff David's doing is already doing a lot of
that. I can always learn new tricks. :)