[Toybox] New tests for dirname and wc

Felix Janda felix.janda at posteo.de
Tue Oct 30 15:37:40 PDT 2012

On 10/28/12 at 01:04pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Posix specifies an -m option for wc, which toybox does
> > not implement. Should there be a test for this, too?
>
> That's internationalization support, which I haven't implemented yet.
>
> I think toybox should support utf-8, but am not as interested in
> multiple translations and date formats and such. (Those belong at the
> GUI/X11 level.)

Ok.

> > Why do the scripts actually use bash?
>
> The tl;dr version is "dash was a mistake on Ubuntu's part".
>
> [...]
>
> Toybox's built in shell is not attempting to duplicate dash. It's doing
> a posix shell and then adding the bash extensions that make sense.
>
> Rob

Thanks for the interesting read. Skimming testing.sh I see that it uses
bash extensions and therefore each test script should be executed by bash.
Presumably, the extensions used in testing.sh belong to the (not yet well-
defined) set of sane extensions to be implemented in toybox's sh at some
point?

Felix