[Toybox] towards xzcat cleanup

Isaac Dunham idunham at lavabit.com
Fri Apr 12 07:19:45 PDT 2013

xzcat: more cleanup and some shrinking.

-drop __always_inline (c. 1.5k of binary size),
-remove the xz_dec_bcj_end and memzero macros
(memeq is left because of negative returns),
-disable XZ_DEC_SINGLE and XZ_DEC_PREALLOC, since we aren't using them.
(160 bytes)
-Merge xz_dec_lzma2_end into xz_dec_end
-Move xz_crc32 to where it's defined.
(That does not seem to be duplicated elsewhere in toybox.)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:03:54 -0500
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> > *I don't know C very well.  Really, I went through the first few
> > chapters of "Using
> > Turbo C" and a couple other books of similar age,
>
> By Herbert Schildt?

Yes.  Also looked at "Writing Portable C" and whatever book on that topic it was that Eric S. Raymond wrote...

> (Everybody makes fun of the guy because he wrote like the Hitchhiker's
> Guide to the Galaxy. "Although it contains much that is apocryphal, or
> at least wildly inaccurate..." But his "How to Program in Turbo C" was
> better and more complete than the other book I had access to ("From
> Basic to C", from my community college's library). And moving from DOS
> to Unix was way bigger a change than anything Schildt got wrong. (Fork!
> Signal handling! No more near/far pointers! Cooked tty mode! mknod!
> setuid vs seteuid vs setfsuid...))
>
> People don't teach C these days. They teach C++, which is not C. (A
> swimming pool full of jello may be mostly water, but flailing around in
> it is not gonna teach you how to swim. It's different, less general
> purpose, less generally useful, and who thought doing that was a good
> idea?)

Agreed.

--
Isaac Dunham <idunham at lavabit.com>