[Toybox] Building toybox with clang on freebsd

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Dec 29 18:04:27 PST 2013

On 12/28/13 21:46, Joe Nosay wrote:
> What optimizations do you use if any? Is it run with C, C++, or GCC
> compatibility?

Um, I haven't tried recently?

Let's see... I have a pcbsd9 image installed under qemu, and... Googling
for pcbsd install package either gives me a giant text file that's not
particularly searchable:

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/handbook/9.1/handbook_en_ver9.1.html

Or an add for the gui stuff that doesn't actually say how to use it:

http://www.pcbsd.org/en/package-management/

Or it gives me pages that don't have an obvious one big version but make
me click through a gallery of tiny little pages like a site trying to
maximize ad views:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-overview.html

Eventually I figured out to add "command line" to my search, and since
add_pkg wants a file, I think I want the "pkg" command? So... "pkg
install mercurial" refuses to work because it's falling back to a legacy
database and trying to download a file from a location it doesn't exist
at. Try... pkg update? No signature found in the repository, cannot
vallidate against key, no digest falling back on legacy catalog format...

And attempting to go "sudo pkg update 2>&1 | tee update.txt" to show it
to anybody says "Ambiguous output redirect."

I remember why I stopped trying to fiddle with it. 20 years of Linux,
DOS, OS/2, and the Amiga is not enough for me to have any clue how to
make BSD do anything as complicated as install a package.

Happy to help somebody else debug this, but unlikely to do so on my own.