[Toybox] grep sans -E not working as expected

Isaac idunham at lavabit.com
Sun Jul 28 21:42:52 PDT 2013

> Isaac <idunham at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > In my testing it seemed that -e and -f don't work;
> > it looks like they're not hooked up?

Ok, I've tracked down the issue; it's not quite what I thought.
Current toybox and musl, as well as glibc 2.11.1 (what Lucid shipped with):

$ echo testabc |./toybox grep -e abc
$ echo testabc |./toybox grep  abc
$ echo testabc |./toybox grep -E -e abc
testabc
$ echo testabc |./toybox grep -E abc
testabc

While I never bothered figuring out what POSIX BREs actually should do,
I know that's not it.
(Default is POSIX BREs, which GNU saw fit to add -G for.)

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham