[Toybox] Implemented split, pondering a release.

Isaac idunham at lavabit.com
Tue Jun 18 06:55:42 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:22:11AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I actually got some time to myself this weekend (visited my sister
> while the kids were at their father's and she was at work for part
> of it), so I banged out one of the remaining low-hanging-fruit
> commands that aboriginal linux (actually linux from scratch) needs
> to build: split. Got it finished, tested, and checked in, and added
> tests for it to the test suite.
>
> Starting to think about a release. I've got to do an aboriginal
> linux release for the 3.10 kernel in a couple weeks, and I generally
> flush pending toybox stuff into a release so that can use it. (Three
> fewer busybox commands, 42 left several of which are duplicates like
> "[ [[ test" and "ash sh", and of course the toybox multiplexer.)
>
> I'd like to finish the ifconfig cleanup, and documenting all that.
> Beyond that nothing's really a release blocker, but I'm open to
> suggestions.

Sounds good to me.

> (I feel hugely guilty about not getting mount.c looked at. That's
> probably the first thing up for next release. Well, I have a
> half-finished umount.c that I might do first because it's smaller
> and the three mount/umount/losetup are sort of a group. To do mount
> I need to set up test environments for nfs and samba, and finally
> get the root support in scripts/test so I can do a mount.test...)

I doubt that it could happen before a 3.10 release...
Doing mount/umount for the next release sounds sensible to me.

Oh, there's a trivial option to add to modinfo: -b <basedir>
(used for constructing an initrd-it locates the modules within
a given directory).
I have a patch to add it, but I'm wondering why
NEWTOY(..."<b:F:0"...)
GLOBALS(
  char *field;
  char *basedir;
..
works right, and putting the GLOBALS in the same order as the
option string breaks (tested on glibc and musl).

modinfo also should support specifying an absolute or relative path
to a module; the one complication is that modinfo_file() takes a
struct dirtree, not a filename; can dirtree_read handle a filename
or a relative path?

Isaac Dunham