[Toybox] Posix: failing by omission since 1988.

Felix Janda felix.janda at posteo.de
Sat Jun 22 00:32:12 PDT 2013

> > > If you split an empty file, does it create one empty output file,
> > or no
> > > output files?
> >
> > "The split utility shall read an input file and write one or more
> > output files."
>
> So the implementation in ubuntu is nonconforming then?

I tested also busybox's implementation and looked at Heirloom's and
FreeBSD's version. It seems to be the consensus not to create an empty
output file. It is the most natural thing to do in the natural
algorithm.

The description in the '-l' option is also not helpful.

Maybe file a defect at austingroupbugs?

> > > What are the permissions of the new files?
> >
> > See above.
>
> Again, the implementation in ubuntu is nonconforming. (It copies the
> permissions from the source file.)

My Coreutils 8.20 and Busybox don't seem to do that. The GNU one seems
to stat the file for some reason, Busybox does not. I think that this
tool should not need to care about permissions, like 'sed "1w file"'.

Felix