[Toybox] Working on unxz-some questions

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Mar 4 05:22:13 PST 2013

On 03/04/2013 01:55:32 AM, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> * Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> [04.03.2013 08:45]:
> >
> > On the compression side, we've got a quick streaming compressor
> > already (gzip) which gets the low hanging fruit of compression and
> is
> > going to be faster than anything else (fits in L1 cache a lot of the
>
> there is an interesting discussion on bb-mailinglist,
> regarding speed of compression/decomp and objsize:
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2013-February/078963.html
> http://lzip.nongnu.org/benchmark.txt
>
> but anyway: IMHO gzip must be handled and a good compressor
> is not the goal of toybox, mostly decompression is important.

It's a goal of me. :)

I'd love to be able to link people to the darn talk I did at CELF but
the video's still not online (I didn't mention yocto, so it's not a
priority for them), but the general idea is in the outline at
http://landley.net/talks/celf-2013.txt

I want to be able to use this as an actual command line, not just as an
adjunct to a "real OS". It should be simple, and it should be
minimalistic, but it should also work. A decompressor without a
compressor has a read-only view of the world, it exists solely to
consume data and not produce it. I'm not targeting the iPad.