[Toybox] Hello, I would like to carve out a project

idunham at lavabit.com idunham at lavabit.com
Thu May 23 20:07:07 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 04:13:37PM -0600, Terrel Shumway wrote:
> I listened to Rob's "Why Toybox" talk and I understand the urgency.
>
> My recent coding experience has been in Python, but I did some C a long
> time ago. I would like to help.
>
> Is there a important command that a semi-newbie could whip out in ~40-80
> hours?  I am thinking of pgrep/pkill,  but I am willing to work on
> something else that may be a higher priority.
>
> This would be part of my capstone project for B.S.
> -- Terrel

Two references that you might wish to look at, or may have seen already:
http://landley.net/toybox/roadmap.html
http://landley.net/toybox/status.html
(And note that the hg repository does change somewhat more frequently
than that page!)

Rob is the one who knows what's a priority, though...
Another reference to note is Aboriginal Linux.  Since it's the
"self-hosting" part of the agenda, one could refer to the commands
included there-see
http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/file/e50c2b9588b8/sources/baseconfig-busybox
Which I should note includes some applets that are currently in
progress:
find ifconfig test stat mount(?)

Ones that may be easy from that list (not an expert here):
grep install tr ps (less split)

> BTW: Hardware wise, I have a Nook simple touch and a Raspberry Pi that I
> would love to put to use.

If you want to do so, note that musl (musl-libc.org) is preferred to bionic
(the native android libc), due to the numerous areas that have been omitted
or stubbed out in the latter.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham