[Toybox] getty and modprobe

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Apr 9 06:33:01 PDT 2014

On 04/09/14 00:06, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 06:52:22PM +0530, Ashwini Sharma wrote:
>> PS: A reminder again!! about the commands lost in mailing list.
>> __getty__ and __modprobe__ implementations are still hanging around in
>> there.
>
> Yes, if these could go in it would be nice.

Sorry, my bad. Updating documentation and reading about gzip
compression. (How do you decide when to use the static vs dynamic
huffman tables, and when to reset the dynamic ones? Everything I can
come up with is either bad or cpu-intensive. Currently reading through
the info-zip deflate code to see how they do it...)

For getty I have two implementations in my todo heap, one from Isaac and
one from Ashwini. Isaac's is nice and simple/clean, but Ashwini's does a
lot more.

(Ashwini's reintroduces my old nemesis from busybox: the serial speed
table. There's just no clean way to handle that, especially for the
higher speeds. I need to genericize it because stty also needs it.)

> I've got a fair-sized chunk of cleanup for getty (86 lines removed, 38 added),
> and have been using it as the standard getty on my system for a while
> now.

I'm guessing these are cleanups to Ashwini's version, so I'll check that in.

> I also have a few bits of cleanup for modprobe waiting.

Anytime it #includes headers that aren't in toybox.h and aren't in
linux/*.h I stop and go "hmmm". Sometiems I then get distracted and
don't get back to it. :)

Both commands added to pending. Sorry for the delay.