[Toybox] It's always something.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Aug 14 13:16:50 PDT 2014

Tuesday night my email machine (the one I couldn't find the cord to
during all the flooding) died. As in "black screen, not even the bios
logo, hard drive light blinks exaclty once when it's turned on". I
have no idea why, but given what the house has been through the past
couple weeks anything could have happened to it while I wasn't
looking.

Since it was also the primary backup machine that I rsync my netbook
to, I spent several hours digging through the piles of boxes boxes to
find the terabyte USB drive, and left it running wednesday to make a
fresh backup of all the netbook files. (It was time anyway, I do
annual full tarballs and the previous one was last August.)

I can take the dead machine to a repair place this weekend, but
haven't got high hopes for recovering anything. I also have backups
_of_ the email machine, but the most recent one's a week or so old, so
I've lost some email and have more accumulating in the gmail box until
I set up filters again. Right before all the flooding happened I
bought a SSD to put in the netbook, and when I install that (probably
this weekend) I can reinstall with the newer ubuntu version and make
the netbook host its own email and avoid this mess in future. (I
hope.)

I got a little work done on the "install" command yesterday
(implementing it as a third command in cp.c), and I'm still grinding
through "mount", and I've got a window open with an mdev cleanup pass.
After those I have a half-finished dd rewrite I need to finish, and
after _that_ I should finally tackle sed.

So code should be wandering into the repository, but I dunno how much
I'll be posting here this week. Meanwhile I try to check in with IRC
at least once a day, I'm on twitter.