[Toybox] expr "horizontal lines" in extended description?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Dec 3 14:06:51 PST 2014

On 12/02/14 20:44, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 07:24:28PM +0100, Felix Janda wrote:
>> Rob Landley wrote:
>>> Clarification received from The Austin Group.
>>>
>>> (Unfortunately the PDF he mentions costs $2500, and is thus completely
>>> irrelevant in 2014.)
>>
>> It also seems to be rendered correctly on the POSIX man page.
>>
>> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages/man-pages-posix/man-pages-posix-2013-a.tar.xz
>>
>> Felix
>
>>From what I've read, there's (a) the Austin Group source for the documents,
> which is written in troff; they render it (apparently using some AT&T
> troff derivative) to (b) PDF and (c) HTML. They provided the troff source
> to Micheal Kerrisk, who has added appropriate notices and distributed that
> as man-pages-posix-2013.

I've been emailing them off-list. They fixed the HTML:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/expr.html

And they also say I can login with the same credentials I set up to join
the mailing list, that's "member" enough for the purpose of viewing the
PDF. (Separately, I got pointed at a page with a workaround for the
login: https://github.com/geoff-codes/posix-standard .)

The posix guys said that if it was up to them the PDF would also be a
free download, but it's a joint copyright and the current agreement
doesn't allow it.

I'm happy the HTML is fixed. I know they say the PDF trumps it, but the
HTML version is really what we use as a standard. (URL in each command
and all...)