[Toybox] Still poking at grep -ABC

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jan 1 13:17:24 PST 2014

More grep corner cases:

   echo -e "one\ntwo\none\none\ntwo\none" | grep -C 1 two
   one
   two
   one
   one
   two
   one

Does not have a -- between the blocks, so printing the -- only happens
after exhausting the trailing lines, refilling the -B list, and then the
next line _not_ matching.

Ooh, here's a fun one:

$ grep -B 2 -b cross README
673-The CROSS_COMPILE argument is optional, and without it builds a
version of
748-toybox to run on the current machine. Cross compiling requires an
appropriately
828:prefixed cross compiler toolchain, several example toolchains are
available at:
--
945-
946-For the "CROSS_COMPILE=armv5l-" example above, download

So I have to record the byte offsets of previous lines, and note the :
vs - distinction in the output.

On the bright side, the -o partial line displaying logic only shows
matches so we don't have to track trailing stuff for that. (Which makes
it a lot easier becaue the prefix display logic is full of -o machinery,
and we want to feed the trailing lines into the prefix display logic
rather than reimplent it, so if we just set TT.B = 0 when FLAG_o is set
(or FLAG_l because that returns early and would leak the trailing line
allocations, and _also_ never displays them)...)

Hmmm, while we're at it:

       mmatch++;
       toys.exitval = 0;
       if (toys.optflags & FLAG_q) xexit();
       if (toys.optflags & FLAG_l) {
         printf("%s%c", name, outdelim);
         free(line);
         fclose(file);
         return;
       }
       if (toys.optflags & FLAG_o)
         if (matches[which].rm_eo == matches[which].rm_so)
           break;

We got a match, and incremented the counter of the number of matches.
But if the start and end of a -o match are equal, we don't display
anything. So... does it still count as a match? Apparently so. What
would a test case for that look like. Matching a whole blank line with
-o. Let's see...

   $ echo -e "one\n\ntwo" | grep -o ""
   $ echo -e "one\n\ntwo" | grep -oc ""
   3
   $ echo -e "one\n\ntwo" | grep -o 'o*$'
   $ echo -e "one\n\ntwo" | grep -oc 'o*$'
   3

Ok, that's just _sad_, but it's implementing the correct behavior...

I don't suppose anybody would like to save me the trouble of updating
the test suite for this giant digression and the previous messages on
this topic? :)