[Toybox] BSD support

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 17:00:04 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Joe Nosay <superbisquit at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as QEmu, Virtual Box, or any of the others are concerned: it is much
> better and more practical to run a system on bare metal.

This is often (not always) true when hacking a kernel, but it's
absolutely not true at all when developing pure userspace software
like toybox.  If your OS works in qemu, you can easily spin up a VM on
your laptop while you're on a plane and run your unit tests on
multiple platforms before making a new release.  There is no reason
you should need a physical box for something like this.

(I'm a bit surprised to hear qemu didn't work with any of the popular
BSDs, though I've never tried to do it myself.)

Have fun,

Avery