[Toybox] getty questions.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 07:31:55 PDT 2014

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:19:45 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Looking at getty, it has a lot of modem support, including
> autodetecting the rate of incoming modem connections from the
> "CONNECT" message.
>
> Do you actually have a use case for this? Are there still modems in
> live use in 2014, where they're hooked up to a unix system that's
> waiting for you to dial in at an unknown serial port rate? (Not
> internet, not a statically configured serial connection set by the
> bootloader or the console= command line argument?)
>
> Or is this there because that's what you expect getty to do, not
> because you personally know anybody who's still using that
> functionality?

Just quickly off the top of my head before I go to bed, the Open Gear
company might be doing something like that in their enterprise network
equipment.  They have some sort of backup admin interface using GSM
modems or something that I've not looked into.  Could also be a fixed
serial speed.

There's also things like serial parity, word length, etc.  And a huge
array of serial terminal parameters that likely no one uses any more.