[Toybox] [CLEANUP] mkpasswd.c

Isaac Dunham ibid.ag at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:27:06 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 07:18:31AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 06/26/14 00:20, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:02:03PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> >> We don't need "-m help" when we can put the list of supported types in
> >> the help text itself. (Unless this is used programmatically to
> >> autodetect support? The ubuntu version outputs a lot of extra verbiage
> >> that would make parsing hard, and the busybox-1.19.0 I have lying around
> >> doesn't support -m help at all?) I've yanked it for now, I can put -m
> >> help back if anybody's actually using it...
> >
> > I'd just been looking into bcrypt support, where it theoretically
> > could be handy. bcrypt is supported on musl, some patched versions
> > of glibc, and a lot of non-linux systems.
> > To support it, we can either advertise bcrypt support everywhere and
> > fail sometimes or else probe for it.
>
> Probing would be ideal, except that I'm not sure how you'd probe while
> cross-compiling? (I can probe for a function existing, but not for
> crypt() accepting an argument value. One's a build break, the other
> requires executing code to see what it does.)

I was actually referring to a runtime probe (check if it's supported and if
if it isn't, act like "bcrypt" is invalid.)

And this is why -m help is relevant: if we do a runtime probe, -m help comes
in very handy, since it could be dynamically modified based on what hashes
actually work.

<snip>
> > Following this you need 22 characters of the usual sort for a salt;
> > traditionally it's terminated with a '$', but musl at least does not
> > require this.
>
> Patches welcome. I'm unlikely to add that myself but I'm happy to merge
> it if other people think it useful.
Alright.

> Probably not this release though. I'm aiming for mondayish and focusing
> on cleanup of what's already in the tree just now...
That's fine.

Thanks,
Isaac