[Toybox] getty questions.

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 20:48:26 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> Looking at getty, it has a lot of modem support, including autodetecting
> the rate of incoming modem connections from the "CONNECT" message.
>
> Do you actually have a use case for this? Are there still modems in live
> use in 2014, where they're hooked up to a unix system that's waiting for
> you to dial in at an unknown serial port rate? (Not internet, not a
> statically configured serial connection set by the bootloader or the
> console= command line argument?)

As far as I know, rate autodetection from the CONNECT line went out of
style with 2400 baud modems.  After that (or even in some of those)
they added internal compression that needed a higher bit rate on the
serial port anyway, so they ended up just using a fixed higher rate.

It's very unlikely anybody needs that feature now.

...and now back to lurking...