[Toybox] Toybox - size, what's in it and command overlays!

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu May 15 21:01:19 PDT 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 13:15:19 +1000 scsijon <scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au>
wrote:

> Considering what is now within toybox and the increase and spread of
> command content range it has and is being added.
>
> I was wondering if it's time to think about splitting some of it's
> content out into a number of smaller group command overlay sets with
> the primary command set being able to load and unload the others on a
> need or as-used basis.
>
> I think it would have to be considered soon / now, otherwise like
> busybox has become, it would become unreasonable to do because of the
> rewrite and redesign work required.
>
> If anyone needs / wants more expansion. I'll add on request. I will
> add that i'm not a programmer, so what you get will need to be
> tempered by that.

One of the design goals is to have just one file to upload to give you
a known set of useful commands.  If you statically link toybox (I think
that's the default) then that's what you get, a single file with no
dependencies (other than a reasonable kernel).

It's also possible (or at least is planned) to compile individual
commands.  Nothing stops you from compiling several sets of commands,
each under a different name.  There is minimal overhead on both of
these options, so I don't see what the gain is in doing what you
suggest.

Unlike busybox, I would think that Rob can keep a tight lid on the
spread of commands being added to toybox.  Another of his design goals.