[Toybox] Scan-build error

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Nov 19 17:38:48 PST 2014

On 11/12/14 20:48, Cynt Rynt wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

And this one languished for a week. Unintentional irony, sorry. (I was
debugging sed.)

> I was trying to figure out
> how to write coverage tests for toybox, and ran into issues using the
> pointtopoint option for ifconfig.

My general plan for making "run as root" tests work is to make an
Aboriginal Linux build control image that runs them as root under qemu.

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/control-images

(That's why chgrp.test and losetup.test have the "not root" part at the
beginning.)

It's on the todo list. :)

> Before I finished writing the test
> suite, I thought it best to find out if I was calling ifconfig wrong or
> if I found a bug.  Attached is the .patch that generated the issue.

Ah, I remember why this went on the todo list. This includes 22 test
cases, to be run as root, with no indication of what the actual bug is
or which test case hits it. What does failure look like? What would
success look like?

This test set relies on modprobing a "dummy" module, and my normal test
environment for this sort of thing is a static kernel built without
module support. I'm reluctant to test it on my netbook because according
to uptime the last time I rebooted was August. (I don't care about the
uptime value, I've been meaning to reboot the thing so youtube starts
working again anyway (ubuntu upgraded the video codecs out from under
the browser, and apparently relaunching chrome isn't good enough, it
wants a reboot).) But I have eight desktops full of open windows, most
with multiple tabs, and ps ax | wc -l says 491 processes, so I have to
go through and close a lot of tabs before I can reboot without losing
track of what I'm working on. I'd rather avoid a forced reboot when I'm
not ready to spend the rest of the day doing state cleanup.

Testing this on the other machine is problematic because although it's
technically a laptop, the battery lasts 15 seconds, so it's on a shelf
and I ssh into it to use it. (ssh -X and x11 forwarding actually work
reasonably well...) Running ifconfig tests remotely through the network
is... awkward.

I can fire up an ubuntu instance under kvm, maybe? Or add the DUMMY
kconfig symbol to the aboriginal kernel I build and modify the test not
to modprobe.

Let me get back to this after I cut the 0.5.1 release...

> Thanks,
> Cindy

Sorry this is taking so long, juggling many things.