[Toybox] Question about ping.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 13 11:50:47 PDT 2014

On 10/13/14 01:04, Рысь wrote:
>>> Will ping work when invoked by root or not in that case?
>>
>> The new way does not require ping to run as root.
>>
>> The thing is, Linux added an API that lets you do the same thing
>> without
>> requiring root access to do so. Seems like an improvement, especially
>> since toybox isn't always installed with the suid bit set. (So you have
>> to run things _as_ root to use the stuff requiring root.)
>
> So toybox ping will work regardless of kernel version, even 2.6.1x?

If I include the old codepath that _does_ require root, which wouldn't
be used on newer systems (which would use the newer codepath either
way), then it would support old 2.6 kernels from 4 years ago, yes.

Whether or not I should bother doing that is the question I'm asking. It
would make the code bigger in order to support old kernels.

There are two APIs. The question is, should I include _both_ APIs, or
just the newer one (which was introduced in linux 3.0).