[Toybox] Getting Toybox into Android before the NetBSD userland wins out

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4+gmane at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:11:41 PDT 2014

Over time, Android has gradually been copying more and more of the NetBSD
source code into the Git
repository which holds their "toolbox" command.[*]

^  [*].  See, for example, this change:

<http://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/
fd4c6b0a3a25921a9fe24691a695d715aecb6afe>

I still prefer Toybox.  For one thing, the "-h" help built into various
Toybox commands tends to be far
better.  (Why is the "-h" help built into various NetBSD commands so skimpy?
I guess the developers
assume that all users have a manpage viewer installed.  Well, Android
includes no such viewer.)

I think that it would be unwise to wait until Toybox hits 1.0 before trying
to get Toybox into Android.
The longer the project waits, the better the NetBSD userland will be
integrated into Android and the more
accustomed the Android team will become to that userland's quirks.

I humbly suggest that perhaps the best thing to do would be to visit the
Android mailing list today, and
to float the idea of getting _some_ parts of Toybox into Android.  Perhaps
start by suggesting that
Toybox could provide some useful things that Android doesn't yet include:
for example, dos2unix,
unix2dos, nice, renice, sort, uniq, usleep, tac, tee, yes, and acpi.

Once Toybox gets into Android, it might then be possible to convince the
Android maintainers to provide
symlinks from /system/bin to _all_ of the reasonably-finished parts of
Toybox.

What do you think of my idea?

Kind regards,
--
Jason Spiro:  computer consultant.
Improve your kids' or your workers' productivity.  If you'd like