[Toybox] --version

enh enh at google.com
Wed Apr 15 10:51:05 PDT 2015

in ad602aa127e44eade76fbb05fd27ee8f5825282a you added a --version that
outputs a constant string defined in main.c. i just wanted to point
out that -- for the foreseeable future until toybox is "mostly done"
-- this means Android will pretty much always lie. we'll be some
random SHA ahead of that version. (right now, for example, we're far
ahead of 0.5.2 but will claim to be 0.5.2.)

you mention in the checkin comment that you don't trust yourself to
keep things up to date --- did you consider setting it in the makefile
instead and grepping the version out of the www/ directory? or, if you
plan on having an rpm spec file or equivalent, from there?

_i_ don't care, but if people report toybox-on-Android bugs to you
rather than to me, you might have a confusing time with the current
setup.

even if you surrounded the #define with #ifndef, i'm not sure what i'd
set it to in the makefile. version numbers don't really make much
sense until you're old and stable. we still have trouble with strace
because although they're old they're still very much under active
development, and often in areas we need (such as aarch64 support) or
want (like the recent ioctl disambiguation improvements). so strace
--version is always a lie on Android too. (but strace doesn't ship as
part of the system image, so only a developer would ever notice and
hopefully they'd be looking at git log anyway.)

probably not going to be a problem -- i pretty much always have to ask
"what version of Android?" on any bug report anyway -- but i thought
i'd mention it.

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.