[Toybox] default SIGPIPE handler that calls _exit(0)?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Apr 29 12:24:39 PDT 2015

On 04/27/2015 11:26 AM, enh wrote:
>>> it would also result in things like top(1) not exiting.
>>
>> If top is using stdio, it's easy to add a single ferror(stdout) check
>> to the main loop. If it's using write(), it _must_ be checking for
>> errors anyway since write can always return with a short/partial
>> write. But top is unlikely to be hooked up to a pipe or socket anyway;
>> it normally needs a terminal.
>
> the point is that then people need to think. if that were a plausible
> solution, this thread wouldn't exist. the advantage of the signal
> handler is that humans can keep on being humans.

I _so_ should have called this project Dorodango. (See
http://www.dorodango.com.)

The point of this project is to do things right. I want to _fix_
everything I can. My insane cleanup review passes involve trying to find
all this stuff and make sure we get it right.

Sure, outside toybox yay sigpipe. But inside, the question is what the
correct behavior should be.

It sounds like android wants _exit(0) and everybody else wants sigpipe
blocked and pipe full treated like disk full. I have a patch right now
that'll do that, but this seems contradictory and I'd like to implement
one consistent behavior if we can agree on what it should _be_...