[Toybox] Integration of SMACK

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Apr 30 08:39:48 PDT 2015

On 04/30/2015 02:14 AM, José Bollo wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 avril 2015 à 13:58 -0500, Rob Landley a écrit :
>> Of course I dunno if your security infrastructure is going to veto the
>> open anyway. Still can't test it...
>
> The issue is maybe not related to security. The reason is that both
> lgetxattr and open(READ|NOFOLLOW|NOATIME) will fail if security forbids
> the read.

A) But will open(O_PATH) fail? That's open _without_ read, providing a
filehandle to the file's metadata but not the contents.

B) If it's not adding _new_ limitations to the command, then switching
from lgetxattr to fgetxattr(openat(O_PATH)) sounds right to me.

> The consistency of access time of the file can be managed with
> NOATIME.

I dunno if O_PATH updates atime anyway? (It probably shouldn't. If mv
doesn't...)

You may have noticed, I regularly hit design corners where "I wonder if
they thought of X", and then sometimes have to push a kernel patch.
(Rich has been outdoing me here lately, though.)