[Toybox] I aten't dead.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Feb 24 11:46:07 PST 2015

Sorry for the radio silence, $DAYJOB's been eating the majority of my
programming time and what's left has gone to Aboriginal Linux recently,
because I made a largeish design change over there (putting the base
root filesystem in initmpfs and merging the native-compiler at runtime
instead of compile time), and the aboriginal linux release soft-blocks
the toybox release because I use "built aboriginal and then built linux
from scratch under it" as my main toybox regression-smoketest.

Last night's I hit a fun bug in toybox "stat" where it doesn't remotely
work on arm. (Works fine on x86 host, but 3.18 kernel built against
uClibc on armv5l: the -f numbers are way off, it thinks the blocksize of
ext2fs is 32 bytes.)

(I hit this because the "do I need to copy the filesystem into a chroot
under /home before building LFS" test _used_ to be "is / read-only", and
now it's a tmpfs with 64 megs of ram in it so it's writeable but not
_big_ enough. And posix "df" doesn't seem to have an easily scriptable
way to get the current size of a filesystem without having to chop it
out with awk, which is why I'm using stat.)

I wrote some of it up at http://landley.net/notes.html which I'm trying
to keep more updated, but writing status updates _there_ means I'm
posting less of them _here_...

Sigh. I should do a "toybox weekly news" ala
http://landley.net/qemu/2008.html (for a value of "should" that means
$DAYJOB still comes first hours-wise.)

Speaking of which, back to kernel code...

Rob

P.S. Dreamhost's web archive seems to have started up again, by
discarding all the pending data and thus putting another half-month hole
in the archives. I mentioned that on http://landley.net/toybox but
again, didn't mention it here...