[Toybox] perf(1)

enh enh at google.com
Thu Mar 12 14:34:53 PDT 2015

thanks. i did see the recent elftoolchain discussion here but didn't
realize that they were API compatible with the existing elfutils. i've
raised bugs internally for people to look at switching one of our
build tools over, and to consider this when the time comes to write a
perf that can build with clang and run on all three platforms.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 6:09 AM, stephen Turner
<stephen.n.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2015 2:30 AM, "Daniel Cegiełka" <daniel.cegielka at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Elliott,

>> > oh, i had a suggestion for the roadmap... perf(1). there are two or
>> > three problems with perf, all of which are the kind of problems that
>> > people on this list are likely to be interested in:
>> >
>> > 1. perf itself is GPL.
>> > 2. perf uses elfutils (libelf), which is GPL.
>> > 3. you can't compile elfutils with clang. (heavy use of nested
>> > functions, a GCC extension clang doesn't support. the elfutils guys
>> > seem to be vehemently against fixing that. but then these are people
>> > who use strndupa...)
>>
>> point 2 and 3?
>>
>> https://github.com/elftoolchain/elftoolchain/tree/master/libelf
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Daniel
>>

> Not sure if its worth the mention but they recently had a discussion (or get
> trolled?) About the trademark/license of the name libelf as well. However it
> didnt appear that the person making the arguement was in any legal position
> to act nor was he representing someone who could.
>
> Its a quiet but responsive list should you have any questions. The origional
> main branch is on sf. The git hubs are apparently devs without commit access
> keeping up with patches etc. As the main sf branch appears to be slow to
> update? Hopefully that will change.
>
> Stephen
>

>> > point 3 is the one that's going to cause problems because it's one of
>> > a very small number of projects in the entire tree that can't be built
>> > with clang, and it's the only thing in the tree where fixing it would
>> > be a major change *and* the upstream owners are actively against the
>> > change.
>> >
>> > i suspect at some point Android will end up writing a Java
>> > implementation of perf (because most third party app developers use
>> > Windows), but a native implementation that also worked on Mac OS and
>> > WIndows might still be something Android could use directly in the
>> > IDE. but even something Linux-only would still be useful for platform
>> > developers, and could replace the existing implementation.
>> >
>> > (i see people here talk about big things like linkers and compilers
>> > and can't help but think of the smaller things i don't currently have
>> > a good option for :-) )
>> >
>> >  --elliott

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.